Saturday, February 14, 2009

Bham Street Lights

I believe it was sometime in Jan. that I became very frustrated with my drive home. I noticed that once I got on the Red Mountain expressway and all the way to HWY 280 that it was extremely difficult to see the road during the rainy night with all the street lights that were out. I can remember going to work the next day venting to my coworkers about this issue. The next night I decided to count the number that were out. As of today, I can't remember the exact number but it was well over 20 lights that were out just in that small section. The next day I did some research and found out that there was a department responsible for these light outages. So I placed a call and found out they do service that area and the gentlemen thanked me for reporting and took my information. This week my husband woke me to listen to a news report on Fox regarding the street lights. I posted below the article I was able to find online about the street lights. Looks like its a bigger problem and may not be fixed anytime soon.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.myfoxal.com/
2.11.09

Langford: Too Many Lights Out in BirminghamBirmingham Mayor Larry Langford says there are so many lights out on Birmingham interstates that it's become an emergency in need of fixing. The mayor is asking the city council to approve 700-thousand dollars to fix the lights along just this stretch of interstate between Tallapoosa Street and the Ensley area. Langford says there are more than 600 lights out and 150 light poles down or damaged. He says a previous administration chose not to join a state maintenance program, and now the city will have to pay to make repairs. The city will also have to pay about 300-thousand a year to join the state's maintenance program. None of this can happen unless the city council approves a funding request for this money. A vote could happen as early as next week.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: