Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Icy Roads - Feb 3rd
While at work we noticed that it started snowing late in the afternoon. These were huge flakes. It happened so fast and it was so cold outside. There were several of us looking looking out the window watching the snow start to cover the ground. I really hadn't paid close attention to the weather. Turns out this stuff came in earlier than predicted. It didn't take long and the schools were letting school out early. Then we got the official word, an email, that the corporate office would be closing at 3pm. That was less than an hour. Then we heard from our boss's boss that we could go now if we wanted. I missed that because I was in the bathroom. I came back and three of my co-workers were waiting on me at the door! As I walked two blocks to my car, I did see that the sidewalk was icy and slick. It was still snowing, so I had to stop inside one of the parking decks to dig out my new umbrella that the boss got us for Christmas. I traveled my usual way home. I went to get on the Red Mountain Expressway and I could see that if was already backed up, crap! I should of checked the traffic report before leaving the building. I sat on the expressway/31 from the point I got on it in downtown to the exit for Hwy 280 for an hour. It was insane, everwhere! As I approached the exit ramp for Hwy 280, I noticed that cars were still driving across the bridge (the last snow/ice issue caused this thing to closed) so I chose to use the exit ramp and head home via Hwy 280 as usual. At the begining of the ramp a max bus was stopped with the caution lights and I thought to myself this must be the hold up. I managed to get around the bus and into the other lane. As I continued to drive up the ramp, I noticed that we started to come to a stop. As I sat on the ramp, I could see that cars were going down this two lane bridge one at a time. I even saw a 18 wheeler make it down, so I was feeling better about my turn but had some anxiety. I was now closer to the top of the ramp where it turns into the actually bridge/flyover to get to 280. At this time I could see two cars had pulled over to each side of the bridge. I wasn't sure it they were not comfortable going down the bridge or if they had been in an accident. Cars were driving between them and continuing with the one at a time routine going down the bridge. My car was half on the bridge and half still on the ramp. I was six cars away from making my way to Hwy 280. Then a white truck ahead of us blocked the lanes. I was no longer going to be going anywhere. I updated my facebook status, sent text messages to friends and family, talked with my husband about this issue and flipped through the radio stations to hear what was going on with this bridge (nothing mentioned). After an hour sitting here in this spot, two hours since leaving work, I started to get stress about not moving. And the fact that I now had the urge to pee didn't help the situation! Luckily, my husband stayed on the phone with me. I had a full tank of gas so I was able to keep the car running. Keep in mind, I never heard anything about the issue going on with this bridge. Thirty minutes later, I saw the dump truck and a flatbed truck arrive at the other end of the bridge. I watched them work and dump stuff in efforts that I assume was to address ice build up which was causing us not to move. Now two hours later in this same spot, three total since leaving work, my husband decided he was going to come find me. I wanted off this ramp! And I really had to pee! I had the lady in the car next to me tap on my window to tell me that she thought we should turn around and go down the ramp. I just said okay. There was no way that I had room to turn around on this ramp unless others did the same. Not long after that I could see flashing lights behind me at the very beginning of the entrance ramp. Really, two hours for police to arrive? It was really hard to tell what was going on behind me. There was a max bus in one lane, the one I passed earlier, and an 18 wheeler in the other lane. I could see the blue flashing lights and could barely hear what someone was saying. I rolled down all four of my windows in order to make out the message. I heard something about the ramp. Great! Then I thought I heard something about backing down the ramp. So, I sat waiting to see if the police said "Do" or "Don't" back down this ramp. At this point is was now dark, below freezing, still snowing, everyone has been sitting in the same spot for over two hours and of course the damn street lights are out. I could see that cars behind me were turning around. So I was going to try my best. I was shaking. Not sure if it was nerves or that fact that I was cold due to all four of my windows being down trying to understand what in the world we were doing. I let the lady next to me go, so I would have more room to make my turn on this bridge. Got turned around and was blinded by 18 wheeler lights. I was confused as to where we were going. The driver of the 18 wheeler turned off his lights and approached my car. Thankfully he realized I was confused and told me where to go to get around and down. Oh, that would be the side of the ramp which was muddy and slushy. He said, "So far, no one has gotten stuck!" Okay, I didn't feel much better. As I got past the 18 wheeler, I could see the police. I think he was pointing for us to cross the muddy median to get back on 31. Unfortunately, there was no police stopping a lane of traffic on 31 so those of us trying to exit the ramp could have some where to go. I finally squeezed in and was headed to Homewood to find a restroom, asap! Called my husband back who was on 280 trying to get to me. Stopped at the Arby's in Homewood to use their restroom. I honestly don't know how I managed waiting for so long. Called my husband back and told him the route I was going to take to go home and he was going to turn around so that he would be traveling behind me. In total it was three and half hours before I made it home for what would be typically only a 10 mile commute. I was in need of a drink! Red wine and bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment