Sunday, July 11, 2010

Hawk

Sitting on the neighbor's fence.
Eating something.

Flying away.

Back in the tree.

This afternoon I spotted a hawk in a tree in the backyard as I was looking out the kitchen window. Got my husband to get the camera. As we went outside, I saw it fly from the tree but towards the ground near the neighbor's yard. I didn't see where it landed but my husband noticed it sitting on the neighbor's fence and was able to get a few pictures from a distance (we totally need a zoom lens). I'm pretty sure its a hawk, just not sure what kind. Afterwards, I have seen either the same hawk or another one flying in and out of the yard landing on the same tree. I saw it fly to the ground and try to eat something. Got as close as I could to try to get some pictures, but it saw me and flew off. As it was eating something on the ground, I could hear another one in the air or woods calling. So, I have seen a hawk four times in a three hour period on that same tree perched for a hunt. As of 3:30pm, I think it's on to me!!!

1 comment:

Stephen Lyn Bales said...

Hello Kelly.

It's hard to tell what kind of hawk you saw. My best guess is a juvenile red-tailed. The young birds do not grow red tail feathers until they are sexually mature. Before that, they just have dark brown tails.

OK?