Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving

This year we had Longchai come in from St. Louis, MO for the week of Thanksgiving. I believe this is our first Thanksgiving with her as a married couple. My husband took off Tuesday and Wednesday to do most of the food preparations, as we were hosting lunch at our house for my family. He did a wonderful job making nuts & bolts, meranges, truffles, breakfast casserole days before the turkey day! On Wednesday night we had a slight mishap. Michael likes to do a brind for the turkey. Usually we put the turkey in a bucket in the fridge, but this year he switched to a bag. I was outside with the dog's potty break, but when I came inside I found an upset husband (lots of cuss words), tons of water (maybe four gallons) and a missing mother-in-law from the kitchen (later to be found in her room). Apparently, when they went to put the bird in the fridge the bag popped open and that was the start of a HUGE mess!!!! I'm not sure how may towels, paper towels and swiffer wipes I used to clean the kitchen floor and the basement, but never again will we use a bag!!!

Thanksgiving Day was a lovey day. The weather was great. Most of the prep work was done. The house was clean. Table was decorated with my new "pumpkin" colored linens. The turkey was done on time. Mike was the first to arrive. He along with Summer's help made pumpkin pie, pecan pie and his awesome dressing. Then, Chris arrived. Jasmine was out on the deck and was so excited to see Chris pull into the drive. And finally Cara, Summer, Tate and Aiden arrived. We ate around 1pm.

After eating, the kids were outside play with sidewalk chalk, balls, and running through the yard. Thanks to my sister for capturing such great pictures of the kids. Not to long after we finished eating, Steve and Ellen arrived. Due to change of plans they were passing through from South Carolina on their way to Louisiana. This is probably my first Thanksgiving with Steve as an adult. Glad they were able to stop by due to the circumstances.

Later on in the evening, Summer and Tate got on our computers. Summer was checking her social networking sites. Tate was typing and playing some games. Tate did tell us to be quite due to him trying to concentrate on the game! Aiden was getting the dog toys out of the basket. Michael and Chris were playing games in the living room. At some point in time, I remembered that I had those rubber band bracelets. I gave them to Summer, who was so nice enough to share them with her little brothers. They were a hit with the kids. Tate asked me to get some more. I will have to see what I can find to give them for Christmas. I think we wrapped up the festivities around 7pm, which was good cause my husband and I had to work the next day.

No comments: